Power in Any Circumstance

“When my mother was diagnosed with a life-threatening cancer a few summers ago, she was convinced that my knowledge of the medical system would help save her.

“Part of me believed it, too. I have spent the past eight years writing this column, which is predicated on the belief that we all have the power to take charge of -- and improve -- our health…

“But the odds my mother faced were daunting. She was diagnosed with esophageal adenocarcinoma, a deadly cancer fueled by years of acid reflux…

“We asked other doctors where they would go, and they all recommended the same oncologist…

“The recommended oncologist was caring and communicative. He answered my questions about new treatments. Most important, he was interested in my mother, her children and grandchildren, and the fact that she wanted to aggressively battle her disease. After just a few treatments, her cancer had all but disappeared from her body. We were hopeful.

“But the cancer eventually rebounded with a vengeance. Less than nine months after the diagnosis, my mother entered hospice care. Her confidence in her doctor gave my mom an unwavering calm as she faced death. ‘You just have to let me go,’ she told me. She died a few weeks later…

“Even though my mother didn't beat the odds, her illness affirmed my belief that everyone has the power to take control of their health. Taking charge didn't save my mother's life, but it made the end of her life better, and gave all of us confidence in her care and the choices she made.”

(“Lessons Learned From Doctors, Patients and My Mother.” Tara Parker-Pope. Wall Street Journal: August 28, 2007. pg. D.1)


AN INTERNAL locus of control and a human touch may not win all battles, but we can develop greater knowledge, more care-full control, and confidence in light of all circumstances.

No comments: